Summer is finally over and boy did it take its sweet time about it. Summer is all well and good but give me the cool, crisp days of Fall over hot Summer days any time.
So yes, to honor the start of Fall, here’s a lovely little recipe for Chicken Hot and Sour Soup to warm you on the cool nights ahead!
What you need:
- 1 chicken breast, cut julienne style
- 2 cups Chicken stock
- 1-2 cups water
- 1/2 – 1 tsp red chili pepper
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 egg whites, beaten
- 4 tbsp cornstarch, dissolved in water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Thinly chopped cabbage
- Thinly chopped carrots
- Sliced mushrooms
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1-2 tbsp white vinegar (depending on how ‘sour’ you like your soup :))
- Take a large pot and pour in the chicken stock and water, bring it to a boil
- Add the red chilli pepper and the tomato paste, cook for a few minutes
- Add the chicken and cook on medium heat till chicken is tender
- Add salt
- Add the cornstarch mix but don’t add all of it at once. Pour in half, mix and let simmer for a minute or two to check consistency. If the soup is still not thick enough for your liking, add more till desired consistency is reached
- Now add the soy sauce, vinegar and black pepper
- Add the veggies and cook for no more than 3-4 minutes otherwise the vegetables will get too limp
- Now pour in the egg whites in a circular motion, let cook for a minute befitting stirring.
- Serve hot!
I love soup, it’s one of my all time favorite foods! What about you? What’s your favorite soup recipe?