It’s been a while since I posted a recipe on the blog, but that doesn’t mean I’ve stopped experimenting with food! I am a foodie at heart (hence my complete failure at sticking to any diet that forbids certain foods) and a foodie is always on the lookout for new recipes!
With the snowy winter months upon us, it’s the perfect time for warm comfort foods, and this yummy cheesy recipe is no exception, and easy to boot! 🙂
What you need:
- 1 chicken breast cut into small, thin pieces
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1-2 jalapeno peppers, sliced
- 1 small can sliced mushrooms
- Sprinkle of red chilli flakes (optional)
- 5-8 slices american cheese
- Butter to fry
- Hoagie buns
- Mayonnaise (optional)
- Iceberg lettuce
- Slice up the chicken into small thin pieces, sprinkle with salt and black pepper, mix well and set aside for 10-15 minutes
- Chop up your veggies! You can use whatever you like in the way of veggies, the husband and I are big fans of mushrooms and jalapeños so thats what I used. You can use bell peppers too and it comes out really nice 🙂
- Heat a skillet over a medium flame and add about a teaspoon of butter. Fry your veggies till soft (you can add more butter if you want to as well)
- Remove the veggies from the skillet, set aside.
- In the same skillet, add more butter and put in the chicken. I like to add a sprinkle of red crushed peppers at this stage but that is entirely optional.
- Stir fry till chicken is cooked through. My secret to soft succulent chicken every time is to cover it while cooking. That keeps the meat from drying out.
- Once the chicken is cooked, add the veggies back to the skillet and mix well
- Cover the mixture with cheese slices, you can use as many or as few slices as you want here
- Turn the heat to the lowest setting and cover to allow the cheese to melt
- And you’re done!
- Now all you have to do is compile the sandwich: put a dash of mayonnaise in the bun, add lettuce than spoon on the chicken mixture
- Enjoy your yummy Philly Cheesesteak and thank me later 😉